The laborer performs a wide array of tasks involving physical labor at commercial building sites, highway and heavy construction projects. The employee may operate a variety of hand and power tools, surveying and measuring equipment, small equipment, and other heavy machines. They may clean and prepare sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, erect scaffolding, clean up rubble and debris, remove waste materials, and assist with form carpentry. They may also assist other craft workers and take instruction from other divisions at Ace/Avant.
1. Performs a variety of tasks involving strenuous manual labor in heavy construction projects; performs manual work in preparing surfaces for paving.
2. Lubricates and cleans machinery, equipment, and tools.
3. Erects and disassembles scaffolding, shoring, braces and other temporary structures.
4. Builds and positions forms for pouring concrete and dismantles forms after use, using saws, hammers, nails, or bolts.
5. Digs trenches and levels earth to grade specifications, using pick or shovel.
6. Shovels bituminous concrete (asphalt) into construction areas.
7. Assists in patching asphalt with hot and cold mix. Excavates and fills trenches and ditches.
8. Grinds, scrapes, sands, or polishes surface, such as concrete surfaces for cleaning or finishing, using abrasive tools or machines.
9. Mixes concrete and mortar.
10. Installs handrails.
11. Uses power sprayer or washer.
12. Cuts timber and/or lumber to specified dimensions, and drills holes in timber or lumber.
13. Holds plumb-bobs, sighting rods, and other equipment, to aid in establishing reference points and lines.
14. Aligns, straightens, plums and squares form for installation.
15. If required, drives vehicles with capacities under 26,000 GVW.
16. If required, inspects and maintains vehicles and equipment, monitoring things such as gas, oil, water, tire, lights and brakes in order to ensure that the vehicles are in proper working condition.
17. Report delays, accidents, or other traffic and transportation situations.
18. Maintains a clean job site: picks up all tools and equipment and secures job site each day to eliminate potential hazards.
19. Signals equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, and adjustment of machinery, equipment, and materials.
20. Performs materials handling and storage.
21. Loads and unloads trucks, and hauls and hoists materials.
22. Ensures that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed, and brings problems to the attention of the foreman, safety director, or HR manager.
23. Performs other related duties as required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. The position regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust and asphalt.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The position lifts heavy objects, must be able to lift 50lbs. The employee walks and stands for long periods of time and performs strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions. The employee lifts, pushes, pulls or carries objects. The position requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multilimb coordination. The position requires the ability to quickly move arms and legs. The employee must have excellent stamina.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. This position frequently requires long hours and weekend work.
Travel is not primarily local; out-of-area and overnight travel will be expected.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We offer direct deposit, healthcare, dental insurance, 401k, and paid holidays and vacation after eligibility periods.
Apply online, call 336-431-5852 ext. 143, or email email@example.com.